Getting Published as a Writer for Children
Faber Writing Academy
This one-day course offers new writers for children an understanding of what goes on inside a publishing house, how publishers make their choices, how to give themselves the best chance of publication and what to expect from the publishing process. It also provides an opportunity to discuss the author-publisher relationship with an experienced author and illustrator.
The program will include feedback on your work and will address the much-asked questions:
• What are publishers looking for?
• Which publishers should I submit to?
• What should I submit?
• How can I polish my writing?
• What makes a persuasive covering letter?
• Do I need an agent?
• What should I know about genres, age groups and the current market?
• What happens once my book is accepted?
• How can I make the most of the publishing relationship?
This workshop requires you to send in a sample of your writing and to think about how to pitch your book. See 'How to apply' for further details.
The course includes:
• A full day of intensive tuition from 10am to 4pm
• Lunch and regular tea and coffee breaks
• A 10% discount on full priced books purchased at any Readings shop - the official bookseller for the Academy (not valid for online purchases, other offers, lay-bys or special orders)
'Susannah gave so much information in such a short time, precisely and clearly.' Amanda (2015)
'Every question I had was answered.' Juliet (2014)
'It was good to get an honest picture of children's publishing from those in the business. Very interesting.' Kelli (2014)
About the Course Director
Susannah Chambers is a Commissioning Editor of books for children and young adults. For the last ten years she has worked at Allen & Unwin Publishers, with some of Australia's best, and best-loved, authors, including Maureen McCarthy, Andrew McGahan, Kate Constable, Nathan Jurevicious, Penni Russon, Laura Buzo and Lian Tanner.
Subscribe to events
Subscribe to our Calendar to receive email notifications so you never miss an event?
Monday mornings we will send you an update showing all the new calendar entries that have been uploaded over the last seven days.
Friday afternoons you will receive a summary of what’s happening on the weekend.