'Silly Zines' workshop for Black and POC writers with Olivia Hicks
Edinburgh is a City of Literature
About this Event
Join Olivia Hicks for this free, 2-hour online zine-making workshop for all genres and all levels - no art skills or drawing required!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for Black writers and writers of colour based in Scotland (or normally resident in Scotland, outside of Covid-19 circumstances).
Zines are a liberating medium because it doesn’t depend on your art level.
Come ready with a piece of your own writing (a poem, story, non-fiction, or notes) about a topic that you have a passion for: maybe a film, musician, hobby, personal experience or historical event. During the workshop, Olivia will take you through the process of making an easy A4 zine. By the end of the session you will have a zine on that topic (or a mostly completed zine that you can finish later).
Zines are fun, personal, and easy to disseminate – a great way to share your interests! There are multiple ways to make an exciting and colourful zine, and none of these depend of your art level. A zine can include drawings or comics, or calligraphy, or you can create your zine out of collage – no drawing required.
- A max of 15 spaces, open to writers in all genres
- This workshop will be hosted online using Webex (instructions will be sent to participants closer to workshop date)
- Examples of zines will be shared before and during the workshop - see the example below and more on Hesitant Doodle
- A chance to relax and explore your creativity in a different medium
- The workshop will include creative prompts and time to share
- Bring drawing and/or collage materials if you want to draw or make a collage
- The workshop includes a 15-20 min break
- Please respond to the RSVP 4 days before the event to retain your ticket*