'Silly Zines' workshop for Black and POC writers with Olivia Hicks
Edinburgh is a City of Literature
About this Event
Join Olivia Hicks for this free, 2-hour online zine-making workshop for all genres and all levels - no art skills or drawing required!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for Black writers and writers of colour based in Scotland (or normally resident in Scotland, outside of Covid-19 circumstances).
Zines are a liberating medium because it doesn’t depend on your art level.
Come ready with a piece of your own writing (a poem, story, non-fiction, or notes) about a topic that you have a passion for: maybe a film, musician, hobby, personal experience or historical event. During the workshop, Olivia will take you through the process of making an easy A4 zine. By the end of the session you will have a zine on that topic (or a mostly completed zine that you can finish later).
Zines are fun, personal, and easy to disseminate – a great way to share your interests! There are multiple ways to make an exciting and colourful zine, and none of these depend of your art level. A zine can include drawings or comics, or calligraphy, or you can create your zine out of collage – no drawing required.
- A max of 15 spaces, open to writers in all genres
- This workshop will be hosted online using Webex (instructions will be sent to participants closer to workshop date)
- Examples of zines will be shared before and during the workshop - see the example below and more on Hesitant Doodle
- A chance to relax and explore your creativity in a different medium
- The workshop will include creative prompts and time to share
- Bring drawing and/or collage materials if you want to draw or make a collage
- The workshop includes a 15-20 min break
- Please respond to the RSVP 4 days before the event to retain your ticket*
Subscribe to events
Subscribe to our Calendar to receive email notifications so you never miss an event?
Monday mornings we will send you an update showing all the new calendar entries that have been uploaded over the last seven days.
Friday afternoons you will receive a summary of what’s happening on the weekend.