Introduction to Proofreading
Proofreading is one of the most important tasks you can do to ensure your work is well received by your readers. A well-proofread document engages and holds your reader. It is viewed by your reader as being polished, professional, well structured, easy to understand and factually accurate in its contents.
In this course, you will learn:
* the differences between proofreading, copyediting and structural editing
* the differences between proofreading against copy and proofreading ‘blind’
* the principles of proofreading
* basic Adobe Reader and Acrobat Pro mark-up of PDF documents (demonstration)
* basic industry-standard, hard-copy proofreading symbols (mark-up)
* how to use a style sheet for proofreading
* when to query an editor
* tips to improve your proofreading skills
* the importance of checklists.
This is a hard-copy course, where there is lots of practice using the proofreading symbols on a variety of documents. It is not a computer course.
BOOKINGS CLOSE: 16 July 2018
Subscribe to events
Subscribe to our Calendar to receive email notifications so you never miss an event?
Monday mornings we will send you an update showing all the new calendar entries that have been uploaded over the last seven days.
Friday afternoons you will receive a summary of what’s happening on the weekend.